What if I say about fascinating facts on Trekking in Nepal around Everest?
It is a known fact that Trekking in Nepal especially Everest base camp trek is the best adventurous activity to experience around the foothills of Himalayas. But you do know that trekking in Nepal around Everest also has some fascinating facts that amuse you? Here are some of these:
- After five years of summiting top of the world Mt. Everest, in 1958, Sir Edmund Hillary led an expedition in search of yeti around the Himalayas.
- It was Sir Andrew Waugh from Great Britain who named the mountain “Mt. Everest”.
- Everest is called “Sagarmatha” in Nepali and “Qomolungma” in Tibetan language.
- Sagarmatha basically means above horizon which resembles top of the world.
- George Mallory and Andrew Irvine might have first ascended the summit of Mt. Everest in 1924 AD. However it can’t be proven as they both died on avalanche.
- Body of George Mallory was found on north face of Mt. Everest and body of Irvine is still in search.
- It is proven fact that rivers that originate from Himalayas are older than Himalayan peaks.
- About 95 % of earth quake occurs at mountainous region.
- According to Nepal Mountaineering Association there currently 33 climbing peaks opened in which Mt. Chukkung Ri is of lowest elevation at 5550m and Shigu Chuli (Fluted peak) is of highest elevation at 6501m.
- More than 200 deaths have been confirmed while summiting Mt. Everest.