Visa and Entry Procedure
Nepal warmly welcomes tourists and wants to make easy entry to the country. You can get a tourist visa upon arrival at the Kathmandu Airport (TIA). Although you can get a tourist visa for Nepal from the embassy or consulate in your country, the simplest and cheaper is to get it at Tribhuwan International Airport upon your arrival in Nepal or else at the immigration entry points (please check below for entry points) if you are entering Nepal via land. Please check the below list of nationals who are not given tourist visas at the airport and other entry points.
Online Visa Application
You can apply for the tourist visa online too. You can still fill out the standard printed forms upon arrival too. However, applying for the visa online will help you get the visa quicker and avoid a long queue upon your arrival. The application system could hold your application for 15 days. If it expires, you need to fill-up the form again at the airport. Here is the link to apply for a visa online in advance https://nepaliport.immigration.gov.np/online
You need to take care of the following things while filling up the visa application form (online or at the entry point)
- Please keep your valid passport at hand (passport must have six months validity from your travel date).
- Ready a recent digital photograph (size: 1.5” x 1.5”) in your removable device to upload your photograph for the application.
- Gather beforehand a detailed permanent residence address, and detailed address in Nepal.
- You need to provide telephone numbers—landline and mobile.
- You need to provide your email address too.
- The submitted application will remain in the system for 15 days. After 15 days, the application will be deleted automatically from the system.
- Once the application is successfully submitted, a receipt will be sent to your email immediately.
- Print the receipt and keep it with you as you need to show it before the Immigration Authority.
- For your convenience, the deadline to contact the Immigration Authority will be mentioned in the receipt.
The receipt also mentions the documents you need to produce before the Immigration Authority at the time of getting a visa.
- Please contact the Immigration Authority within 15 days after the submission of the application.
For example, if you submit your extension application today, and your visa is expiring the next day, on the third day if you visit the Department of Immigration, you will have to pay a late fee for that day. In order to prevent this sort of hassle, please submit your extension application on time and get your visa renewed before crossing the expiry date.
When you contact the Immigration Authority, please make sure you have the receipt and proper documents with you including the necessary fee.
Things you need to get Nepal visa upon arrival
- A valid passport (Please note that the passport should have validity of at least six months)
- You should fill the application form for visa available at airport or immigration entry points (you can fill up the visa application form in advance online too https://nepaliport.immigration.gov.np/online
- Two passport size photos
- Visa fees in major currency which should be paid in cash (credit card or cheque is not accepted).
Entry points to Nepal with immigration offices:
- Tribhuvan International Airport , Kathmandu
- Immigration Office, Kakarbhitta , Jhapa
- Immigration Office, Birganj , Parsa
- Immigration Office , Belhia , Bhairahawa
- Immigration Office , Nepalganj, Banke
- Immigration Office , Mohana, Kailali
- Immigration Office, Gadda Chauki, Kanhanpur
- Immigration Office , Kodari , Sindhupalchwok
Indian nationals do not require a visa. But Indians traveling to Nepal by air have to show on arrival at the entry point either a passport or voter’s card issued by the election commission of India or any identity card with the photograph issued by the central or state government of India. Temporary identity card with photograph issued by Nepal – based Indian diplomatic missions for the identification of Indian nationals will also be considered in case of exceptions. Children under 10 years need not show any identification.
At the airport there are several visa choices:
||Fee (USD or other acceptable currency)
Payment by cash ONLY in any major currency (change is returned in rupees)
Transit visa for one day can be obtained from Nepal’s immigration offices at the entry points upon the production of departure flight ticket via Tribhuvan International Airport in Nepal, by paying US $ 5 or equivalent convertible currency.
Gratis (Free) Visa
- Children below 10 years get free visa
- Gratis visa for 30 days available only for tourists of SAARC countries.
- Indian nationals do not require visa to enter into Nepal but need to show their passport/valid identification.
- Chinese nationals can apply for gratis visa from Embassy of Nepal in Beijing, Consulate General of Nepal at Lhasa, Hongkong and Honorary Consulate of Nepal in Shanghai
Tourist Visa Extension
- Do get the correct visa as above as an extension takes time. Extensions are obtainable from the Department of Immigration in Kathmandu or Pokhara. + 15 days is $30, additional days are $2 per day (payment in rupees only)
- Tourists are not permitted to stay more than 150 days in Nepal during one calendar year (January – December).
For further information, please contact Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan, Dillibazar, Kathmandu. Tel : 977 – 01 – 4433934 / 4429660/ 4438862 / 4438868 |Fax : 977 – 01 – 4433935|Email : email@example.com |Website : https://www.immigration.gov.np/
Department of Immigration Office Hours
Sunday to Thursday:
10 a.m. – 17 p.m. in summer
10 a.m. – 16 p.m. in winter (Nov. to Jan.)
Friday: 10 a.m. -15 p.m.
Visa Application Hours
Sunday to Thursday: 10 a.m. – 15 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. – 13 p.m.
Nepal government does not provide arrival visa to nationalities from following countries:
Other General Information
- Entering in to Nepal or staying in Nepal without a valid visa is illegal.
- Tourist visa can be obtained either through the Nepalese embassy or consulate or other mission offices in your nation or at the immigration entry points in Nepal listed above.
- Visa once issued cannot be amended and the visa fees are non-refundable.
- Nepal visa fees must be paid in cash (USD or other major currency). Credit card or cheque is not acceptable.
- Visa charges are not applicable for children under 10 years of age, however, they must obtain a valid visa.
- If you are obtaining a new passport or travel document, you are advised to contact the Immigration Department for the document transfer.
- Always carry your passport and trekking permit while on trekking.
- Some of the areas are restricted for filming. Therefore, be careful not to do the activities that are strictly prohibited.
Please respect the culture, tradition and sentiments of Nepalese people. Do not perform any activities that would hurt their sentiments.
- Do not perform any activities that would lead to moral turpitude.